BIO: Rozita Fogelman is a Russian/American conceptual artist and eco-art activist. Born in 1964 in Tbilisi, Georgia, she immigrated with her family to Israel in 1975, and since 1998, she lives and works in Berkeley, California. She studied dance and music in Tbilisi, Georgia; graphic design and sculpture in Jaffa, Tel Aviv at Avni Institute of Art and Design, and in 2011, she pioneered a new multi-disciplinary media art graduate program at California State University East Bay with emphasis on multimedia, communication and contemporary studio practice arts.
ABOUT: Fogelman is a conceptual, abstract-expressionist, colorist, minimalist, avant-garde, anti-war and environmental artist activist. She works with elements, language and abstract; using contemporary and traditional media: dealing with abstract representational often triggered by language, and experimental use of multimedia, times study of a single hue or a minimal form of structure. She distinguished visual communication and sound as her first language out of five. Her work is influenced by dance and jazz, shamanism and zen, dada and Art School of New York, the ancient Jewish Kabbalah and Gutenberg’s movable type, science and technology. She loves to try exploring metaphysical concepts.
"Style of Fogelman's work is mainly abstract expressionist with emphasis on experimental use of unconventional tools and techniques. The work's primary focus is on energy, color and surface." -Grace Munakata
EDUCATION: M.A. Multi-Disciplinary Media Arts, CS University East Bay, CA | 2011 Concentration: Multimedia &Art History, Communication and Studio Arts practice B.A. Graphic Art, CS University East Bay, CA | 2009 A.A. Liberal Arts, Laney College Oakland, CA | 2007 A.A. Graphic Arts, Laney College Oakland, CA | 2007 Graphic Art Diploma Avni Art Institute Tel Aviv, Israel | 1992
AWARDS, HONORS & SCHOLARSHIPS: The Graduate Equity Fellowships, CS University, East Bay | 2009 The GOLDEN KEY, CS University, East Bay | 2009 Dean's and Honor's Lists, CS University, East Bay | 2009 CAREER BAY, CS University, East Bay | 2008 Dean's and Honor's Lists, Laney College | 2007 Guy and Louise Condrott Scholarship Fund, Inc. | 2006
SOLO EXHIBITIONS: FILE- ASCII Graphic Glitch Art - Electronic Language International Festival at FIESP Cultural Center - Ruth Cardoso, Brazil | 2014 YELLOW, WHITE & BLACK, Gallery T, Net-Art, France | 2013 HYSTERIA THE ARTIST IS ONLINE | Gallery 0nline, In Real-Time Net-Art | 2013 COLORS, Berkeley Civic Art Center, Berkeley, CA | 2012 Transient Spaces, FLOAT Gallery, Oakland, CA | 2011 Oakland Graffiti, OPEN SHOW SF BAY AREA #27, SFCamerawork, CA | 2011 Body, Land & Water, Senior Exhibition CS University, East Bay CA | 2011 Circulation, CS University Annual Juried Exhibition, East Bay, CA | 2011 Confusion, 5th Annual Queer Women of Color Film Festival, SF, CA | 2009 Thinking Pink, Laney College & ProArts Open Studio, Oakland CA | 2005 An Alternative Wedding, Coffee As If, Shenkin, Tel Aviv, Israel | 1998 An Alternative Wedding, Coffee As If, Design school of Tel Aviv, Israel | 1998
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS: - “ASCII Graphic Glitch Art" FILE - Hypersonica Screening FILE 2014 - Electronic Language International Festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil | 2014 - ART, FUN & RECYCLING - Expressions Gallery Berkeley, CA | 2014 - ASCII All Over You - Overlaid Reality, Hangzhou, China | 2014 - I AM AN ASCII ARTIST – FIESP Cultural Center - Ruth Cardoso, Sao Paulo, Brazil | 2014 - The Wrong - ROJO - New Digital Art Biennale: Swimming poolpiranhas | 2014 - Digital Zoo - Furtherfield Gallery IRL of glitch worx 0P3NR3P0 London | 2014 - MON3Y AS AN 3RRROR | MON3Y.US - Furtherfield Gallery IRL glitch worx, London | 2014 - HOMELESSNESS - Berkeley Civic Art Center, Berkeley, CA | 2014 - HOMELESSNESS - Expressions Gallery Berkeley, CA | 2014 - MON3Y.US- an online exhibition of digital & net.art, El Pais | Spain, Furtherfield | UK, The Creators Project VICE | INTEL | USA, The Collector Tribune | Italy, Metropolis M | Holland, MoneyLab | Institute Networks Culture | Holland, Prosthetic Knownledge | UK, O Fluxo | Portugal, Arshake | Italy, Wired | Italy, USA, Kraut Magazine | Germany, Revista Select | Brasil, Nicola Mariani | Italy-Spain, Post_Media | France, L'Identità Aumentata | Italy, FAD | New York-London 2013-14 - I AM AN ASCII ARTIST - The 5ft Monaddigital.net, SPAMM (SuPer Art Modern Museum) Nomade Art Space in Hangzhou, CHINA | 2013-14 - GOLDEN WARM WATER - The Wrong - ROJO - New Digital Art Biennale online Art-net: Transfer | Brooklyn, Smart Objects | Los Angeles, Paradise Hill | Melbourne, Mutuo | Barcelona, Plutón | Valencia, TAL | Rio de Janeiro, Espacio Tumba | Buenos Aires, Hit The Dirt – Santiago de Chile, NNM Studio | Lima, LabLT | Montevideo, Un Lugar | Quito, Áncora | Valparaiso | 2013-14 - CYPRESS - ģ̶Ł̶1̶ɫ̶C̶ʮ̶_Δ┌┼ \/\/\/\/\/\/!┬ jonCates Glitch Art with jonCates at Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum && online at Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | 2013 - AFTER MARINA ABRAMOVIC - Copie-Copains-Club, France | 2013 - AFTER YVES KLEIN - Copie-Copains-Club, France | 2013 - LINE DRAWN ONLINE - The Paintshow with Jonas Lund at Festival international de l affiche etdu graphisme, Chaumont, Belgium | 2013 - MAKE PEACE PROJECT: 100,000 symbol walls Curated by George Colon, NY, NY | 2013 - CYPRESS - Furtherfield Gallery IRL of glitch worx 0P3NR3P0 Glitch Moment, London | 2013 - SAFRONIA - Furtherfield Gallery IRL of glitch worx 0P3NR3P0 Glitch Moment, London | 2013 - MALTA - Furtherfield Gallery IRL of glitch worx 0P3NR3P0 Glitch Moment, London | 2013 - SAFRONIA GOIN' SAFARI w / SPAMM International Digital ArtFilm Project, France | 2013 - SAINTE CHAPELLE "GESTO SEGNO DISEGNO" - AMACI (Association of Museums d 'Arte Contemporanea Italian) | 2013 - $$$ - MON3Y AS AN 3RRROR - MON3Y.US | Ciro Múseres - an online exhibition of digital & Net Art Italy | 2013 - CYPRESS TheSmack77 art and music channel, London | 2013 - SAFRONIA GOIN' SAFARI w / SPAMM International Digital ArtFilm Project, France | 2013 - THA LAST MENSTRUATION - the Feminist Body Theory International Internet Art Project, Italy | 2013 - ALL IS FULL OF LOVE - International Net Art Project, Brazil | 2013 - COUNTUNE - International Internet Social Art Project, Grenzach, Germany | 2013 - LINE DRAWN ONLINE - The Paintshow with Jonas Lund at Eyebeam NYC | 2013 - LINE DRAWN ONLINE - The Paintshow with Jonas Lund at Van Abbemuseum, Amsterdam the Netherlands | 2012 - COUNTUNE - International Internet Social Art Project, Grenzach, Germany | 2012 - BLUE WATER - THE 4 R s Berkeley Civic Art Center, Berkeley, CA | 2012 - RED at ART TAKES TIMES SQUARE - Artists Wanted, NY, NY | 2012 - BLUE WATER - THE 4 R s - Expressions Gallery, Berkeley, CA | 2012 - COUNTUNE - International Internet Social Art Project, Grenzach, Germany | 2012 - MANDALA LIGHT - Trankillo Room International Art Exhibit, Le Mans, France | 2012 - “U” YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL - Flourish Studios, Chicago, IL | 2012 - THE SONG OF THE LAND - JWAN National Exhibition, The Hebrew Union College - Institute of Religion, Los Angeles, CA | 2012 - 「自家ハツデン」GO IN HOUSE POWER GENERATION - The Red Cross, International Exhibition for the earthquake disaster, Kaikan, Japan | 2011 - CIRCULATION, Senior Exhibition CS University, East Bay, CA | 2011 - 200 YARDS - SF Photography Project, Dickerman Prints Gallery, SF, CA | 2011 - THE GAMES PEOPLE PLAY - K Gallery Rhythmix Cultural Works, CA | 2010 - A HAPPENING - Multimedia Art Project, Oakland, CA | 2010 - FOR COLORED GIRLS ONLY - Joyce Gordon Gallery Oakland, CA | 2010 - MAIL IT - Mail-Art SFCamerawork, SF CA | 2009 - NOMENCLATURE - Miigaadiwin, a Forked Tongue: Poems and Film SF, CA | 2009 - THINKING PINK - Annual Juried Exhibition California State University, East Bay | 2009 - ? - Annual Juried Exhibition California State University, East Bay | 2008 - BIO-LOGIC - Eco-Action - Oakland Museum of California | 2005 - THINKING PINK - ProArts - Oakland CA | 2005 - THINKING PINK - Laney College, Oakland CA | 2004 - A CELEBRATION OF THE DAY OF THE DEAD - Laney College, Oakland CA | 2004 - WHY VOTE? - Laney College, Oakland CA | 2004 - MY BODY - ARTSF - Film and Art Series I & II Xenodrome, SF, CA | 2003 - ÒDECKED OUTÓ - Skate Decks - Culture Cache Gallery SF, CA | 2002 - CERAMICS IN OUR TIME - Municipal Building, Tel Aviv, Israel | 1995 - POST IN - Poster Design, Avni Art Institute, Tel Aviv, Israel | 1993 - PACK IT - Product Packaging Design, Avni Art Institute Tel Aviv, Israel | 1992
PUBLICATIONS: THE PARTICLES B/W Abstract Action Drawings 2004-14 GOLDEN - The Paintshop - Line Draw Online #3 | The Paintshop - TAD COBALT & VERMILION & RUBY - Line Draw Online #2 | The Paintshop - TAD#FF0IFF - [ LA VIE EN ROSE MUSEUM ] The Particles Of Dust 2013 ASCII: GRAPHIC GLITCH ART - TAD- [ Technology + Art + Design ] 2013 LINE DRAWN ONLINE - The Paintshop - [ The Paintshop ] 2013 EPIC - A Digital Morphozic 2013 #000000 - From The Big Bang Theory To Life 2013 TEXT ART, SIMPLE TEXT ART MADE WITH KEYBOARD 2012 CONTEMPORARY COMPUTER ART II, MADE WITH MOUSE 2012 CONTEMPORARY COMPUTER ART I, MADE WITH MOUSE 2012 MADE IN JAFFA, TEL-AVIV, Street photography from Israel 2012 MADE IN CALIFORNIA, Abandoned: Street photography from the Bay Area, CA 2012 Body, Land & Water, The Book of Abstract Paintings, Issuu Press 2011 "In 5 minutes", The Fiction Project, Brooklyn Art Library-Art House Co-op 2011 "Artwork", “Red, 2005-06”, The Evolution of Karl Marx by James Bonnie, 2009 Reflections 2009, Vol. IX: Editorial Page, CS University East Bay Undergraduate Journal of Philosophy "Artwork", “Deliberation, 2004-05” Do Zombies Deserve Ethical Consideration? 2009 Or, Should We Pull the Plug on Life-Support? By Cale Corwin, Reflections 2009, Vol. IX: Editorial Page, CS University East Bay Undergraduate Journal of Philosophy
FILMS: I am an ASCII Artist | 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh9AH7fW1U
FILE Electronic Language International Festival at FIESP Cultural Center, Brazil I am an ASCII Artist - squidoo.com/ascii-artist 2013 Sainte Chapelle - Ex Monte Granatico via Vittorio Emanuele 2013 !̶Ł̶1̶ɫ̶C̶₮̶_Δ┌┼ w! Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum && online 2013 Text Art #1 http://metafor.es/ 2013 Super Art Moderne Musee - Systaime - safari.spamm.fr 2013 SAFRONIA - Safari- Systaime - haszysz.net 2013 ROZZETTA 9:56 - artmagazines.nl 2013 Blue Golden Gates 1:01 - artmagazines.nl 2013 Gallery0nline - HYSTERIA ::: THE ARTIST IS ONLINE ::: rhizome.org 2013 Countune: ART-PROJECT - Germany 2012 ARTIST OF THE WEEK - Saatchi Online's 2011 Oakland Graffiti - San Francisco Street art 2011 Art Today - strangefruits.nl 2011 5th Annual QWOCMAP 2010 California State University - C-Bay: Career East Bay Center 2008
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY: Artist / Educator/ Graphic Designer
- Gallery Manager, Graphic Artist & PR Expressions Gallery Berkeley, CA 2012- to present
- Teaching Assistant, Art History, CSUEB 2009-11
- Graphic Artist, Theatre and Dance Department, CSUEB 2009 Poster and postcards for the "ice", 2009 dance show
- Graphic Artist, Advising and Career Department, CSUEB 2008 Logo design for CBAY
- Graphic Artist, Fan Lee Warren Oakland, CA 2005-07 Web and print graphics for 2007 Warren's art show
- Graphic Artist, Oakland Museum, CA 2005 Print graphics for Oakland Museum art show
- Art Director, Broadband Properties, Texas, CA 2005 Designed a cover magazine for Broadband Properties
- Art Director, Berkeley Art Festival, Berkeley, CA 2003 Print graphics for Berkeley Art Festival
- Graphic Artist, Natasha Shawver, Berkeley, CA 2002 Print graphics for 2002 Shawver's art show
- Art Director Berkeley Art Project.org, Berkeley, CA. 2002-03 Managed the creative & art department designing and developing web site for Berkeley Art Project.org. Newspaper ads, newsletters, posters and booklets.
- Graphic Artist / Art Director HistoricBerkeley.com Berkeley, CA. 1999-02 Design and develop: web site for HistoricBerkeley.com and HistoricOakland.com, for Prudential California Realty. Digital photography, web design, printed graphics such as logos, booklets, brochures, newsletters and ads.
- Art Director / Assistant Desktop Publishing Manager, Copy Central Berkeley, CA. 2001-02 Responsible for production and design: posters, logos, booklets, brochures, and newsletters.
- Art Director Public Arts, Tel Aviv, Israel 1997-98 Directed advertising campaigns for various clients including restaurants, construction companies and health clubs. Project management, including brochures, logos, newspaper and magazine ads. Freehand illustrations and poster designer.
- Art Director Green Publishing, Tel Aviv, Israel 1996-97 Designed Philip Morris Israel annual report. Designed the Good Life, a health magazine commissioned by an Israeli cable TV service and used in all Israeli hospitals.
- Art Director Wheel of Fortune magazine, Tel Aviv, Israel 1995-96 Responsible for production of each issues from concept, design and layout through publication, which required adherence to strict deadlines. Worked with a team of five, including a photographer, writer, and editor and marketing representative.
- Art Director Bruckner & Netta, Tel Aviv, Israel 1994-95 Hewlett Packard Israel: responsible for ad campaigns, including presentations, logos, booklets, brochures, newsletters, employee communications & 3D layouts with models. Freehand illustrations, large advertising posters design for Hed-Arzi (largest Israeli recording company): Package design for music and multimedia CDs (computer games), catalogs, cassettes, videos, posters, newspaper and magazine ads. Responsible for packaging, brochures, and labels catalogs for pharmaceutical and cosmetics.
- Art Director Friedman & Lechner, Tel Aviv, Israel 1993-94 Logo design for TMS Ltd., an international trade and maritime service company. Advertising campaign, billboard design, newspaper collateral, and calendar for Atzmon, a ceramic and marble tile and home Décor Company. Advertising campaign billboard design for the Soft Touch and Etou cosmetic companies. Catalogs included freehand sketches. Advertising campaign billboard design, brochure and calendar for Cargal, Ltd., Israeli cardboard container manufacturer.
- Graphic Artist / Assistant of Director of Advertising Dep. "City" Schocken, Israel 1991-93 Network Newspapers, a local paper in Tel Aviv, Israel. Started in halftone production (Kodak-Bromide process); promoted to staff graphic artist to first Assistant Director of Advertising department within an 18-month period.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Museums and contemporary art galleries study: 1993-13 Hebrew typography and Kabbalah: Israel and CA 1975-03 HTML Berkeley CC, CSUEB 1999-11 Clay and 3D Israel, USA 1992-12 Adobe Israel, USA 1990-12 C+ DOS Israel, USA 1982-83